Important PST Transition Information
The Provincial Government has announced new PST information resources for BC businesses.
- Online PST registration starts on January 2, 2013
- BC will implement the PST on April 1, 2013.
Government information services
There will be 3 ways businesses can have their PST questions answered:
- One-on-one consultations with a ministry tax specialist – submit a request online.
- Calling with questions toll-free to 1-877-388-4440
- Emailing questions to CTBTaxQuestions@gov.bc.ca.
Tax Specialist Assistance
- Available: October 2012 – March 2013
- Letters mailed to businesses in September 2012
- Individual businesses able to request consultation
- Available: April 2013 – March 2014 by request
- Tax specialists conducting books and records review
- No assessments, however there will be a requirement to fix problems
- The former hotel room tax will be rolled into monthly PST returns
- Monthly PST returns will be due at the end of the following month (consistent with GST)
- Vendor registration can be done online using the federal Business Number – a new 11 character PST number that will be assigned (PSTxxx-xxx)
- A new e-service called eTaxBC is being developed to allow self service options such as online registration and tax return filing
A new provincial sales tax notice, General Transitional Rules for the Re-Implementation of the Provincial Sales Tax, has also been issued.
The transition rules describe how and when PST applies to transactions that straddle April 1, 2013, and coincide with the federal transitional rules.
- Bulletin PST 001 – Registering to Collect Provincial Sales Tax (PST)
- For more information please refer to the recent government news release or their new PST information site: www.PSTinBC.ca