Columbia Valley Business – COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

This page will be updated regularly as a local resource to stay up to date as information develops regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

As we all turn our attention to daily updates on the COVID-19 (Coronavirus), our team is working closely with the Provincial and Federal agencies, Destination Canada and Destination BC, and other industry stakeholders and partners to assess the current and potential impact of the virus on the Columbia Valley’s tourism and economy.

We are working together on a coordinated approach and consistent messaging to help minimize the effect on business going forward. Your Chamber will continue to monitor the situation but encourage business owners and our greater community to remain calm, be informed and use clear, accurate and up-to-date information from official resources only. These are linked below.

Our community must rally together during this time and we strongly encourage everyone to support local business as much as possible.

Business Round Tables

CV Roundtable with Jess & Pete – April 15th, 2020

DOI Roundtable – April 16th, 2020

MP & MLA Roundtable – April 17th, 2020

Additional Links

Frequently Asked Questions

  • When Do I Have To Issue An ROE?

    Employers must issue an ROE within 5 calendar days of the interruption of earnings or the date the employer becomes aware of an interruption of earnings. OR if issuing electronic ROEs, you have up to five calendar days after the end of the pay period in which an employee’s interruption of earnings occurs.

    An interruption of earnings occurs when an employee:

    • Quits
    • Is laid off or terminated
    • Has had, or is anticipated to have, 7 consecutive calendar days with no work & no insurable earnings from the employer.
    • Has a salary that falls below 60% of regular weekly earnings because of illness, injury, quarantine, pregnancy, caring for newborn or adopted children, or providing support to a family member who is gravely ill with significant risk of death.


    The 7-day rule for an interruption of earnings does not apply in the following cases: Real estate agents; employees who have non-standard work schedules; commission salespeople

    Regardless of whether or not the employee intends to file a claim for EI benefits, the employer must issue an ROE:

    • each time an employee experiences an interruption of earnings;
      or when Service Canada requests one.
    • For part-time, on-call or casual workers, an ROE does not have to be issued for each interruption except when:
      • The employee requests one (and there has been an interruption of earnings)
      • The employee is no longer considered “active”
      • The ROE is requested by Service Canada
      • The employee has not worked or had insurable earning in the last thirty days
  • How Do I Access An ROE Form?

    Preferred method is Electronic ROEs

    In order to use ROE Web you must have a My Business Account with Canada Revenue Agency.

    If you do not have an account set up yet, information on registering for My Business Account with CRA is found here: Registration Process to Access CRA Login Services

    Once you have your CRA account set up, you will be able to sign into ROE Web and complete the electronic ROE

    Ordering Paper ROE Forms

    Employers must communicate with the Employer Contact Centre to order paper ROE forms. Service Canada no longer accepts orders for paper ROE forms by fax or mail.

    When you call, you will be asked to provide the following information:

    Your 15-character Payroll Account Number (PAN) issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). The PAN can be found on the CRA PD7A (Statement of account for current source deductions) form. If you do not have a PAN, you will have to request one from CRA, and The name, address and telephone number of your business.

  • How Do I Fill Out An ROE?

    Service Canada provides a comprehensive guide to completing ROEs. Employers should follow this guide to ensure accuracy when completing ROEs.

    Download the guide: Record of Employment Guide
    Service Canada ROE help line: for help filling out ROEs call 1-800-367-5693.

  • What Code Do I Use On The ROE Form Block 16 Regarding The Reason for Lay-off?

    If you are laying off staff for any reason you must use the appropriate Code in Box 16.

    Specific codes to use due to Covid-19 are:

    CODE D: if your employee is under quarantine or self-quarantine due to Covid-19, please use Code “D” for illness or injury
    CODE A: if your employees are out of work due to temporarily closing your whole business or parts of your business, please use Code “A” for Shortage of Work.
    CODE N: if your employee is refusing to report to work due to the risk of exposure to Covid-19, please use Code “N” for leave of absence.

    Other codes apply for different circumstances such as maternity, dismissal, quit etc., in which case, use the appropriate code.

    Important: when issuing an ROE do not put anything in “Box 18 – Comments section”. Any comments will remove the ROE from the automated process and will delay the processing of the claim.

  • Am I eligible for the Temporary Wage Subsidy?

    You are an eligible employer if you:

    • are a non-profit organization, registered charity, or a Canadian-controlled private corporation (CCPC);
    • have an existing business number and payroll program account with the CRA on March 18, 2020; and
    • pay salary, wages, bonuses, or other remuneration to an employee.

    Note: CCPCs are only eligible for the subsidy if their taxable capital employed in Canada for the preceding taxation year, calculated on an associated group basis, is less than $15 million.

    For more information please go to: Frequently Asked Questions: Temporary Wage Subsidy for Employers

    Note: If you are a sole proprietor or partnership that has employees, you are not eligible at this time to access the Temporary Wage Subsidy.

Business News From The Valley

COVID-19 Government Resources

Employee Resources

  • Resources For Employees
  • Resources For Self-Employed

    Canadian Emergency Response Benefit

    On March 25, 2020, the federal government announced that they would be combining the Emergency Care Benefit and the Emergency Support Benefit into the Canadian Emergency Response Benefit (CERB).

    This benefit provides $2000 per month for four months to eligible individuals

    The CERB would cover :

    • Canadians who have lost their job, are sick, quarantined, or taking care of someone who is sick with COVID-19
    • Working parents who must stay home without pay to care for children who are sick or at home because of school and daycare closures.
    • Wage earners, as well as contract workers and self-employed individuals who would not otherwise be eligible for Employment Insurance (EI).
      • Applications for this benefit will be available the week of April 6, 2020.
  • Employment Insurance

    General EI Information:

    ROEs (Record of Employment): from Service Canada: “If your employees are directly affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) and they are no longer working, you must issue a Record of Employment (ROE).

Business Resources

Know what’s going on in Columbia Valley’s Business community.

Sign up for the Columbia Valley Chamber of Commerce newsletter for news, coming events, membership benefits and more!